EISA has a presence in five African countries. Read more about our programme activities in Chad, Kenya, South Africa, Mozambique, Madagascar and Zimbabwe.
Activities & events
Mr Denis Kadima, EISA Executive Director and His Excellency, Petri Salo, the Ambassador of Finland signing a 2 and half years project contract for support to the EISA political party strengthening programme to be conducted in Botswana, Lesotho and South Africa.
AU Cameroon EOM 2013
African Union Observer Mission to the 2013 Senate Elections in Cameroon:
2013 Zimbabwe Constitutional Refrendum: EOM Statements
Election observer mission statements:
- Southern African Development Community: Statement
- SADC Parliamentary Forum: Interim statement
- Zimbabwe Election Support Network: Preliminary Statement
- Malawi Electoral Support Network: Interim statement
EISA Madagascar: Promoting Women's Participation in Public Affairs
EISA has launched a project promoting the participation and representation of women through increasing their election to decision-making institutions.
Kenya: International EOMs Joint Statements
International EOMs Joint Statements:
- Observer Groups urge all electoral stakeholders to respect the official election results [PDF document], 5 March.
- Observer Groups Call for Peaceful Polls, Urge Kenyans to Await Results [PDF document], 3 March.
EISA on Kenya results
EISA Press statement, 6 Mar 2013.
EISA disassociates itself from reports stateing that it has made pronouncements on the calculation of the total number of votes in the election.
AU EOM Kenya
Seventh Annual Symposium
Two Decades of Election Observation in Africa: Lessons Learned, Role, Performance and Impact on Democracy Building, Johannesburg, South South Africa, 13 - 14 March 2013.
JWCEP Kenya Pre-election report
Kenyan Judiciary Working Committee on Election Preparations Pre-Election Report, September 2012-February 2013 [PDF document]
AU EOM Djibouti
Déclaration d'arrivée [PDF document]
EISA in Egypt 2012
- EISA Election Witnessing Mission Report Egypt: 23-24 May 2012, first round of Presidential Election; 16-17 June 2012, Run-off Presidential Eletion: English
- EISA Election Witnessing Mission Report Egypt: The People's Assembly and Shura Council Elections, November 2011-February 2012: English · Arabic
EISA Technical Assessment Mission to the 2012 Egyptian Constitutional Referendum
- Preliminary statement: English · Arabic
- Interim statement: English · Arabic
- Arrival statement: English · Arabic
EISA Witnessing Mission to the Egyptian Presidential Elections 2012:
- Statement on the Post-election Phase: English · Arabic
- Second round preliminary statement: English · Arabic
- Second round mission launch
- First round preliminary statement: English · Arabic
- First round post-election press release - English
- Mission launch: English · Arabic
EISA Witnessing Mission to the Egyptian Shura Council Elections, Second and Final Phase, 14 – 22 February 2012:
EISA Witnessing Mission to the Egyptian Shura Council Elections First Phase, 29 Jan-07 Feb 2012
EISA EOM Ghana, 2012
EISA Election Observation Mission to the Republic of Ghana, 7 December 2012 Presidential and Parliamentary Elections: Interim statement [PDF document],
AU EOM Ghana, 2012
African Union Election Observation Mission to the Republic of Ghana, 7 December 2012 Presidential and Parliamentary Elections:
AU EOM Burkina Faso, 2012
Mission d'observation de Union africaine aux elections legislatives et municipales du 2 decembre 2012 au Burkina Faso:
AU EOM Sierra Leone, 2012
African Union Observer Mission to the elections in Sierra Leone:
AU EOM Angola 2012
EISA Technical Mission to Senegal 2012
EISA Senegal: Rapport post-electoral de la mission technique [PDF document]
AU EOM Congo Republic, 2012
African Union Observer Mission to the elections in the Congo Republic:
AU EOM Libya, 2012
African Union Observer Mission to the 7th July 2012 General National Congress elections in Libya:
AU EOM Senegal, 2012
La mission d'observation de l'Union Africaine dans le cadre des elections legislatives 1er juillet 2012 en Republique du Senegal: Déclaration préliminaire, 2 juillet 2012.
EISA EOM to Lesotho National Assembly Election 2012
AU Lesotho EOM 2012
African Union Observer Mission to the 26 May 2012 National Assembly elections in Lesotho: Preliminary statement [PDF document]
Citizen Election Observation: Global Principles and Code of Conduct
EISA was one of 150 actors involved in formulating a declaration of principles and code of conduct for citizen election observation launched at the United Nations: Declaration of Global Principles for Nonpartisan Election Observation and Monitoring by Citizen Organizations [PDF document, opens new window] (accessed 20 Apr 2012).
AU Algeria EOM 2012
AU Gambia EOM 2012
- Formation des délégués de partis politiques et de candidats: Manuel du formateur · Malagasy
- A Guide to Mandates and Roles of County Governments in Kenya
- Des élus locaux pour le Tchad: Élection, rôle et fonctionnement des collectivités térritoriales décentralisées
- Handbook on Kenya's Electoral Laws and System
- EISA Election Election Observer Mission Report Liberia: 2011 Referendum and Elections.
- EISA Election Witnessing Mission Report Egypt: The People's Assembly and Shura Council Elections, November 2011-February 2012.
- EISA Election Observer Mission Report: Zambia Presidential, Parliamentary and Local Government elections 20 September 2011.
- Uganda 18 february 2011 Presidential and Parliamentary Elections
- Zanzibar Presidential, House of Representatives and Local Government Elections 31 October 2010
- De l'élection présidentielle du 27 juin et pour le deuxième tour du 07 novembre 2010 en République de Guinée
- South Africa National and Provincial Elections 22 April 2009
Good Governance Learning Network 2011 Recognising Community voice and dissatisfaction: A Civil Society Perspective on Local Governance in South Africa.
Chad Political Parties database
A current, continuously maintained and expanded database of Political Parties in Chad: Profils des partis politiques tchadiens [PDF document].
- New books available at EISA
- Voter Registration in Africa: A Comparative Analysis, ed. Astrid Evrensel, Free download (PDF).
- When Elephants Fight: Preventing and Resolving Election-Related Conflicts in Africa, eds Khabele Matlosa, Gilbert M Khadiagala and Victor Shale
- Resourcing the Local State: Local Government and Revenue Raising in the SADC Region. A compendium of research reports, EISA 2010
- This Seat is Taken: Elections and the Under-representation of Women in Seven Southern African Countries, edited by Gender Links, 2010
- EISA's APRM programme has produced a publication entitled Peering the Peers: Civil Society and the African Peer Review Mechanism. This volume of essays from leading civil society and governance experts in Africa examines the critical role of civil society in the APRM.
- Volume 9, Number 1 of EISA's accredited Journal of African Elections is now available.
- New Research Report: Political Integration and Democratisation in Southern Africa: Progress, Problems and Prospects by Khabele Matlosa and Kebapetse Lotshwao. Free download (PDF).
- Download Election Observer Mission reports. Hard copies are available on order.
- EISA's new Policy Brief series begins with a publication entitled When Elections Become a Curse: Redressing Electoral Violence in Africa. The Policy Brief is available for free download.