South Africa: Election Observer Missions to the 2009 elections
Updated October 2010
National Observer Missions
The main national observation effort was undertaken by the South African Civil Society Election Coalition (SACSEC): SACSEC Commends Free and Fair National and Provincial 2009 Elections [PDF document].
A number of smaller bodies such as the Election Monitoring Network also deployed a few observers.
International Observer Missions
The following international actors have sent observer missions:
- African Alliance for Peace (AFAP): "Observer Mission", 21 April 2009, [www]http://www.accord.org.za/news/28-elections/475-african-alliance-for-peace-afap-observer-mission.html [opens new window] (accessed 8 Dec 2009)
- African Union (AU): Preliminary Statement, 24 April 2009, [www] http://www.africa-union.org/root/UA/actualites/2009/avr/press%20statement%20guinee-bissau.doc [MS Word document] (accessed 10 Mar 2010)
- Association of African Electoral Authorities (AAEA)
- EISA: Interim Statement
- Electoral Commissioners' Forum of SADC (SADC-ECF) 2009 Observer Mission Report: April 22 2009 National and Provincial Elections of South Africa, 1 August, [www] http://aceproject.org/ero-en/regions/africa/ZA/electoral-commissions-forum-of-sadc-countries-ecf/at_download/file [opens new window] (accessed 13 Oct 2010).
- Southern African Development Community (SADC)
- SADC Parliamentary Forum: "Interim Statement", 25 April 2009, [www] http://www.sadcpf.org/Interim%20Statement,%20SADC%20Parliamentary%20Forum%20Election%20Observer%20Mission%20to%20South%20Africa%2022%20April%202009..doc [MS Word document] (accessed 8 Dec 2009)
- Senegal People Development Institute